Cheesy Grits with Shrimp is a meal that I have to admit, I didn’t think I would enjoy. I was wrong! This is a great dish and I know I will make it again!
The first time I heard about this dish was from my daughter. She and her boyfriend frequent a local restaurant that serves this dish and she kept telling me I should try it. Now, I don’t know about you, but we don’t go out to eat very often. I find it very expensive and often I can make it better at home. Lets not even discuss the fact that I can make if for less at home too!
I am so glad my daughter kept bugging me about trying this recipe. I have to admit that the thought of grits left me a bit unsure. I remember having grits when I was in my early 20’s and had just moved to Dallas. My grits were served for breakfast with “Red Eye Gravy”. If you don’t know what red eye gravy is, you probably don’t want to! Needless to say, it was my last time to ever have grits.
- 1 1/2 cups of grits
- 6 cups of water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp. unsalted unsalted butter
- 1 lb. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives
- Bring the 6 cups of water to a boil. Add the grits and lower temperature. Let grits cook for about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir to break up. They should be thick and somewhat creamy.
- Add the heavy cream and cheese and stir until the cheese is melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large skillet melt the butter, add the chopped garlic and sauté for a couple of minutes (do not let it brown).
- Add the shrimp to the butter and garlic and cook until no longer pink.
- Place the cheesy grits in a bowl and top with shrimp. Sprinkle with chives and serve.
Do you like grits? I would love to know what you think of this recipe. I would especially like to hear your thoughts if you make it!
If you are looking for more fantastic shrimp recipes, you might like these:
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Peach Bourbon Jam #FarmersMarketWeek - August 7, 2017
- How to Make Homemade Apple Juice.Easy, healthy and yummy - August 4, 2017
- Healthy Honey Oatmeal Cookies #BackToSchoolRecipes - July 19, 2017