Butter balls are one of my Mom’s favorite cookies. Well, to be honest, she likes most cookies!
I think I may have gotten my love of cookies and all things buttery from her. Hmmm….I think I should blame it on someone, don’t you?
This recipe is one that will sound very familiar to many people. I have seen it called Mexican Wedding Cookies, I think there is a version from Greece and I am sure every other country around.
Funny how recipes are like that – every one thinks they originated it. I don’t really care, what I do care about it the fact that these cookies are easy to make and they melt in your mouth.
I remember many, many years ago standing in the kitchen with my Oma (German Grandmother) and asking her how she made a certain recipe. I would have a pencil in hand and was eager to write down her fantastic recipe. I never got that recipe written down. She would always say things like, “a pinch of this”, “a little of that”.
Although there are measurements to this recipe, thankfully, I can see my Oma standing in the kitchen tossing a few things in a bowl and coming up with these delicious cookies.
These cookies are simple to make – all they require is a little bit of butter, a little powdered sugar and some flour.
I decided to use pecans as the nut in the cookie. My Mom now lives in Texas, close to the Rio Grande and there are many pecan farms there. She brings me pecans every year for Christmas. I only use them in special recipes. This butter ball cookie recipe is special. Trust me.
Here is how you can make Butter Balls for your family:
- 1 cup butter (I use Land O'Lakes)
- 3 TBL powdered Sugar (I used Dixie Crystal)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts (I used pecans you could use walnuts also)
- Powdered sugar for dusting
Cream together the butter, 3 TBL powdered sugar and vanilla. Slowly add in the flour and nuts. Shape into balls that are about 1 1/2 - 2 inches in size.
Bake on an ungreased baking sheet at 350 for 20 minutes.
While still warm, roll in powdered sugar.
I am hoping these butter balls sound like something your family will enjoy. They are a favorite cookie in my home. My daughter and I often have them for our Sunday tea time. Will you try these butter balls?
Make sure you stop by and see what other great recipes the Sunday Supper home chefs have been creating.
Starters (Appetizers, Beverages, Breakfast):
- Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal by Cooking With Carlee
- Frozen Pina Colada by The Redhead Baker
- Goats Cheese Rolls with Honey and Thyme by Manu’s Menu
- Mom’s Banana Bread by Family Around the Table
- Mom’s Famous Poppy Seed Bread With A Citrus Glaze by And She Cooks
- Mom’s Wine Spritzer by Momma’s Meals
Salads, Side Dishes, and Sauces:
- Asiago Bruschetta Roasted Asparagus by Flavor Mosaic
- Italian Country Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mom’s Cucumbers in Vinegar by Simple And Savory
- Mom’s Homemade Perogies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mom’s Potato Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Polish Haluski (Pan Fried Noodles & Sauerkraut) by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spinach Salad with Simple Vinaigrette by Cooking Chat
- Zippy Barbecue Sauce by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Chicken and Egg Salad Sandwich by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce by Casa de Crews
- Fried Smelt by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Granny Smith’s Meatloaf by Get the Good Stuff!
- Jean’s Best Vegetable Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Lemon & Garlic Herbed Roasted Chicken by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mama’s Favorite Southern Fried Chicken by The Chef Next Door
- Mom’s Cheese & Onion Enchiladas by The TipToe Fairy
- Mom’s Lentil Toastadas by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mom’s Moussaka by My Life Cookbook
- Shirley’s Potato Soup by Our Good Life
- Mom’s Spare Ribs To Go by An Italian in my Kitchen
- Mom’s Sukiyaki: Japanese Beef and Vegetables Hot Pot by Asian In America
- Myra’s Super Supper by Tramplingrose
- Pizza Meatloaf by A Mind Full Mom
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls by Cookin’ Mimi
- Apple Bread Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Crisp by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Baklava by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Brown Sugar Pudding by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Carrot Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Cherry Truffle Cheesecake by What Smells So Good?
- Crustless Pecan Pie Rice Pudding by Desserts Required
- Double Layer Chocolate Cake with Red Wine Chocolate Buttercream by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Classic Date Squares by She Loves Biscotti
- Gluten Free Strawberry Rhubarb Cake by What The Fork Food Blog
- Homemade Chocolate Cherry Candies by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Hungarian Crepes: Palacsinta by My Gourmet Connection
- Lemon Cookies with White Chocolate and Mint by The Finer Cookie
- Lemon Pound Cake with Lemon Glaze and Roasted Strawberries by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Mom’s Apple Pie by Wholistic Woman
- Mom’s Famous White Icing by Monica’s Table
- Moms Mayonnaise Cake by My World Simplified
- Pavlova with Raspberries and Cream by Caroline’s Cooking
- Rocky Road Brownie Sundae for Mom by The Weekend Gourmet
- Rose Shortbread Cookies by Baking Sense
- Sour Cream Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
Plus What Mom Really Wants for Mother’s Day plus Mom’s Favorite from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Best No Bake Cheesecake with blueberries #DiaryMonth - June 23, 2017
- Alfredo sauce with cream cheese #DairyMonth - June 21, 2017
- Peaches and Cream Smoothie, a clean eating recipe #DairyMonth - June 19, 2017