Broccoli bacon salad is a fresh and delicious side dish to most any meal. I can still remember the first time I ate a broccoli salad. I was living in the Dallas area and worked for a company of about 5,000 employees! Believe me when I say that every week (or more often) some one had a birthday, anniversary, wedding, or was going to have a baby.
Needless to say, we were constantly having “Spreads”. Yeah, I didn’t’ know what that was when I first moved to the area. I quickly found out it was the Texas way of saying a pot luck. I loved celebrating with my co-workers and especially loved going to the spreads. It was a great way to try new foods and to make your favorites to share with other.
I can’t remember exactly who share the first broccoli salad I ever made, but I can remember thinking, “This is something I will have to make my family!” Can you believe it took me almost 20 years to finally get around to making it?
- 8 slices bacon (we use Smithfield)
- 9 cups fresh broccoli
- 1/2 purple onion, chopped
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise (no substitutes)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar (or less)
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Fry the bacon; break into pieces; set aside.
- Trim broccoli stems, cut into 1/2 - 1-inch pieces; cut flower ends into small pieces, too; put into a large serving bowl.
- Add chopped onion, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper.
- Add bacon (you can wait to add the bacon until just prior to serving)
- Add bacon now or wait until serving time if you don't like it to get soggy-ish.
- DRESSING: Mix dressing ingredients in a small bowl until sugar dissolves.
- Add dressing to the broccoli mixture; stir well to coat everything.
- If you didn't add the bacon earlier, add it now.
I hope you don’t wait 20 years to try this recipe. I am sure you and your family will love it. The salad has a great crunch to it and is full of great flavors. Try it at your next grill out or picnic!
Looking for more great salad recipes? Here are some others you might like: