Broccoli is one of my families favorite vegetables. We love it both cooked and raw.
Before we began to eat clean and real food, the broccoli salad recipe I made had a base of mayonnaise. It also had a decent amount of white sugar in it.
Mayonnaise and sugar are out of our diets and I thought I would struggle to find a dressing for my broccoli apple dressing. Luckily it didn’t take long before I came up with something I knew my family would enjoy.
Before we get to the recipe, let’s take a minute and find out the benefits of broccoli.
- Packed with vitamins
- Known for it’s anti-inflammatory benefits
- Has antioxidant benefits (broccoli sprouts are higher in these)
- Helps to detoxify our bodies
- Cancer fighter due to the anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and detoxifying benefits
- High in fiber so great for digestive support
- Lowers LDL in bloodstream
All of these benefits for about 1/3 to a 1/2 of cup a broccoli. You can read more about the great benefits of the broccoli in this broccoli apple salad at Organic Facts.
Now that you are excited to try the broccoli apple salad, let’s get to the recipe.
Broccoli Apple Salad with Tahini Dressing
Broccoli salad with a twist.
- 1/2 cup red onion finely chopped
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 apple I use a tart apple chopped, and drizzled with lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sliced almond (or nut of choice)
- ½ cup organic tahini
- ¼ cup 100% pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste if needed
In a large bowl, mix broccoli, onion and apple. Stir to combine.
In a small dish, whisk together tahini, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice until smooth and creamy.
Pour prepared dressing over broccoli mix. Use a small amount at a time making sure you don't over saturate.
Top with sliced almonds.
This salad will stay in the refrigerator for 1 or 2 days.
There is a good chance you will have some of the dressing left over. The dressing will store in the refrigerator for 2 or 3 days. I have been using it on my spinach and arugula salad that I have almost every day.
Not only is this salad good for you, it is good tasting. No, I take that back, it is fantastic. We had some left over and had it the next day and it was just as good.
Crisp, crunch, sweet and tart. Those are a few of the words I would use to describe this broccoli apple salad. I am loving the fact that the dressing is good for you and has no preservatives in it.
If you are looking for a great tasting and healthy salad, this one is for you. Let me know what your family thinks about it when you place this beauty on the table. Leave a comment below.
Are you thinking about changing the way you and your family eat? Have you thought about eating clean, real food. Cutting preservatives and chemicals out of what you serve your family? Sign up for the 10 Day Clean Eating Challenge and lets walk the path to a healthier you together. Click the button below to sign up.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Best Fruit Kabobs Ever #July4Recipes - June 27, 2017
- Oatmeal Breakfast Bar Recipe, with cherries (GF, Vegan) - June 26, 2017
- The best nachos recipe, Cowboy Nachos #SundaySupper - June 25, 2017