Bisquick mix is a real time saver in the kitchen. I enjoy knowing there is a box of it in the pantry for emergency situations, don’t you?
When I was younger, I remember my Mom making meals with Bisquick. My Dad always used Bisquick to make Strawberry Shortcake! It was the best! Some of the first meals I made when I began to live on my own were with Bisquick – remember Impossible Cheeseburger Pie? (by the way, I will post that recipe soon!)
Now, I love having foods in my pantry that are what I would call a “convenience” food, but I also like knowing that there are ingredients in it that I love as much as I love the convenience of it. I understand that there needs to be some form of fat in the mix, but I really didn’t want hydrogenated oil. So, I made up a homemade version of Bisquick using butter.
Butter is a four letter word in many households, but not in mine. I would rather know that I am eating a real food than something that is made up of oil and water and perhaps a little milk! I believe that used in moderation, there is nothing wrong with butter!
Let’s get back to talking about this mix. I love this version of homemade Bisquick. The biscuits are fluffy and the pancakes puff up and are so light and delicious!
- 5 cups flour
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup butter
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Cut in the butter with a fork or pastry cutter until the mixture becomes crumbly. Use as you would use regular Bisquick.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks. This can be stored in the freezer for longer.
As the weeks go on, I will share some of the recipes I make using this baking mix. I am sure you will be like me and have many fond memories when you read the recipes and my hope is that you will want to get in the kitchen and make a few for your family!
Do you have any favorite recipes using a Bisquick mix? I think my favorite is still the Strawberry Shortcake recipe!
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Best Fruit Kabobs Ever #July4Recipes - June 27, 2017
- Oatmeal Breakfast Bar Recipe, with cherries (GF, Vegan) - June 26, 2017
- The best nachos recipe, Cowboy Nachos #SundaySupper - June 25, 2017