I love to dig in the dirt, don’t you? My hands can really pay the price though. I knew I needed to come up with some best gardener’s hand care ideas.
I often have splinters and cuts on my hands. I don’t really worry about those things – I am not wanting to be the next hand model for Elle magazine.
What I do worry about is the dry, cracked skin I often suffer with. Gardening will do that to you. Soils will make your skin dry and crack it.
Here are a few best gardener’s hand care ideas for you:
- Keep your nails short – keeps dirt away from the tender skin at the base of the nail and prevents nail damage
- Watch for buried objects – sharp objects (glass, rocks, etc) can cut your skin and you can get an infection. Use a hand shovel or rake instead of your hands.
- Use gardening gloves – there are leather (for those tough jobs), latex gloves if you happen to use chemical fertilizers, and cotton gloves (good for most gardening tasks)
- A great soap scrub is necessary. You want to make sure you get all of the dirt off your hands before you do anything else.
- Use a natural bristle brush to get the dirt out from under your nails.
- Use a quality hand salve to keep your hands soft
The items below are items that I approve of. The homemade gardening scrub is one that I make and use on a regular basis. The links below (other than my own) are affiliate links and if you purchase something I will make a small commission. Thank you for your support.
Here are a few best gardner’s hand care items to get you on your way to caring for your hands while gardening.
Homemade hand scrub – My recipe
I have to admit to you that I am not big on wearing gloves while gardening. I love the feel of the dirt between my fingers. I do, however, wear gloves for the tough jobs and when I am creating a new bed. I have been cut by small pieces of glass or old toy soldiers before and it wasn’t fun.
What are your best gardening hand care tips? I would love to hear them. If you share some of your ideas here, I will share them on my Facebook page!
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Butterfly Feeder Tutorial with Feeding Big - March 24, 2017
- This Is How We Roll #108 - March 23, 2017
- Vitamin C Supplement benefits are many, add it to your day - March 21, 2017