Baked Cod with Lemon Garlic Parsley Sauce is a wonderful main dish that your family will love. You, as a Mom, will love the fact that this Greek recipe is not only delicious, but good for you too!
I want to take a minute to get personal with you. Big was hospitalized for a stroke a couple years ago (it turned out to be Thyroid disease, not a stroke). I noticed that the hospital was a big proponent of Mediterranean food. I decided to look a bit further into the Greek way of eating. I have tried over the past year, to incorporate more Mediterranean dishes, but always felt like I was not quite getting it. I knew there were great cookbooks that would guide me to learn more about this great way of cooking, but just hadn’t found it yet.
Debbie was the first generation of her family born in America and grew up in a traditional Greek household. Her home was the hangout for all of her friends and much of this had to do with her Mom’s great cooking. Her Mother’s recipes and more are shared in this book.
Not only does Debbie share wonderful recipes, she also talks about the health benefits of a Mediterranean diet. She describes each commonly used food and shares tips on how to use them. I love her description of “Philotimo”. Debbie tells us that “Philotimo” is literally translated to mean “friend of honor” or “love of honor”. The true meaning of “Philotimo” is about doing what is right to people and the world and not just what is convenient or right for you. I think we all need to live this way!
Now on to the food! This Baked Cod with Lemon Garlic Parsley Sauce is just wonderful! I hope you and your family will give it a try.
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 skinless cod fillets, 6 ounces each, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 4 Tablespoons lemon juice, divided (about 2 lemons)
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1 clover garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Coat the bottom of a large oven-safe baking dish with 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil. Lay the cod fillets in the baking dish and season them with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt (1/8 teaspoon per fillet). Drizzle 2 Tablespoons of the lemon juice over the fish. Bake, uncovered, until the fish is opaque and easily flaked with a fork. About 15 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the fish.
- While the fish is baking, make the sauce. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice, parsley, garlic, and lemon zest. Slowly whisk in the remaining 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper (if using).
- Serve the cod immediately on warmed dinner plates, with the sauce spooned evenly over each filet.
I love this book so much that I want to give away a copy to one of my lovely readers. I know you will find great recipes, just like I did! Once you begin to read this book, you will be inspired to, not only re-create the recipes, but adopt the Greek way of living – Philotimo!
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Best Fruit Kabobs Ever #July4Recipes - June 27, 2017
- Oatmeal Breakfast Bar Recipe, with cherries (GF, Vegan) - June 26, 2017
- The best nachos recipe, Cowboy Nachos #SundaySupper - June 25, 2017