Fresh Apple and Pear Salad is a new salad for our family. I am so glad that I found it, especially since we have 5 apple trees in our yard! This salad is one that will be on our menu often.
Crisp fall apples and sweet pears combine with the mild and sweet flavor from the red onion. I am giving you the original recipe that I found in the Taste of Home magazine, but I want to tell you about a switch that I made. Instead of the cucumber, I substituted Pepino Melon. A pepino is a small fruit, that comes from South America. It tastes like a combination of honeydew melon and cucumber. Since the recipe called for cucumber, I thought this would be a perfect switch.
I was right. The pepino was a perfect substitution for the cucumber. If you want to try a pepino and have never heard of them before, here is a photo to help guide you.
I really hope that you will give these little guys a try. I think you will love them! Although I found these sweet little vegetables at our large speciality grocery store, I know they can easily be purchased at a local Latin grocery store.
- 4 medium apples, thinly sliced
- 2 medium pears, thinly sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped*
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup apple cider or juice
- 1 Tablespoon snipped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine apples, pears, cucumbers and onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk remaining ingredients until blended.
- Pour over apple mixture, toss to coat.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- *I used a pepino melon
We ate this salad with a very spicy soup, so I held back on the peppers – for tonight anyway!
Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed this recipe and will come back soon!
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- This is How We Roll Link Party #104 - February 23, 2017
- Healthy Fats should be a part of your diet - February 21, 2017
- Chicken soup for the cold, over 30 healthy recipes for your flu or cold - February 20, 2017