As I write this, we are under a Weather Emergency. So far, in the past 2 hours we have gotten 2 inches of snow and the forecast calls for 10 – 15 inches more! Can you believe it? I live in the South and we are not supposed to get snow this way.
What is a girl to do? Get in the kitchen and make soup, of course! Soup is the ultimate comfort food in my mind. This Broccoli Cheese Soup is perfect for a snow day, rainy day, heck – even a sunny day! Your really should try it.
Ree Drummond was the originator of this recipe. You all know me, I have
a girl crush great admiration for Ms. Drummond. I have made many of her recipes and my family and myself have loved each and every one of them. So far, she has never steered me wrong in the kitchen.
This recipe was found it in her new cookbook, “A Year of Holidays”. This is her new cookbook and I am really enjoying it. I have many recipes earmarked for future dinners.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half and half
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 broccoli heads, cut into florets
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, more for garnish
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter and then add the onion.
- Stir the onion around to cook for about 3 - 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onion and use a whisk to work in the flour. Once combined, cook the mixture for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the mil and half and half, whisking constantly until combined.
- Sprinkle the salt, pepper and nutmeg over the mixture.
- Add the broccoli florets and stir them into the soup. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low, them simmer the soup until it is thickened and the broccoli is tender, 20 - 25 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth and check the consistency. The soup should be thick.
- Add the cheese and stir it in until melted, taste and adjust seasonings, if needed.
- Make sure you simmer on low so that you don't scorch the soup
Looking for a few more recipes from The Pioneer Woman? Here are a few of my favorites.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- New York, New York – My adventures in the Big City - July 31, 2015
- Easy No Bake Mixed Berry Cheesecake - July 30, 2015
- Healthy Back to School Lunch Box ideas - July 29, 2015