With the holidays fast approaching, I am busy thinking of my Christmas shopping list. I know I can hunt the stores for sales, use coupons and make homemade gifts in order to save money. What about the wrapping? Have you seen the price of gift wrapping paper, bows and cards?  It is just crazy!

In an effort to reduce my waste and continue my frugal living, I came up with a great way to make a frugal gift box.  I just love frugal gift wrapping, don’t you?  It didn’t cost me much and it also didn’t take me very long to pull it together. (We all know that at this time of the year, we seem to be on a shortage of time and money!)

Items needed:

• Oatmeal Container (can use other container with a lid, think coffee container, etc.)
  • Wrapping Paper
  • Tape or hot glue (I used tape, I think hot glue would have worked better when tucking in the top and bottom)

Directions:

• Pull the wrapper off the Oatmeal Container
  • Cut your wrapping paper to size
  • Wrap the Oatmeal Container with the gift wrap, tape in place
  • Fold the wrapping paper to the inside of the oatmeal container and tape/glue – do the same to the bottom
  • Fill it with goodies!
  • Put the lid on, top it with a bow (I stink at homemade bows, so I will leave mine plain)

Frugal Gift Wrapping

Here are a couple other great gift packages.  You could easily make them from items around your house!

Repurposed Sweater Gift Bag

Repurposed Sweater Sleeve Gift Bag by Orgainzed 31

Santa Treat Box

Santa Treat Box by Organized 31

Need a great cookie to put in the box?  How about these:

Bite Sized Cinnamon Roll Cookies

Santa’s Favorite Peppermint Cookies

Monkey Cookies

So now it is your turn to share your frugal posts!

42 Responses to Frugal Gift Wrapping – Living Big on Less Money Series

1. Trisha D. says:

What a great roundup. I’m kinda a hoarder when it comes to throwing away food packaging. It’s always inspiring to see what to do with all my salvages.

2. brett says:

i love the santa box! wicked cute!

3. One Christmas day as the children ripped into their gifts excitedly I watched with joy as I always did. But afterward when we brought out two huge lawn trash bags to throw away all the wrappings & boxes I became very aware of the environmental cost. Since that day I’ve been very mindful of the things I use to wrap my gifts (and even the kinds of gifts I give) Reusable wrappings are a mainstay now. My gifts are still festive and colorful, just not resulting in mountains of trash. LOVE your ideas too and hope to incorporate some of those ideas as well. A little creativity can make for a very cute presentation.

~Taylor-Made Ranch~
    Wolfe City, Texas

It is very hard to throw all of that paper away. It is so expensive and, as you say, fills the landfills. We make our own wrappings or use gift bags, which we save from year to year. We keep the tissue paper and fold it up nicely for the next year. I am always so glad when you stop by and share. I am equally happy to see all of your lovely cows!

4. I have gift bags that are probably close to 6 years old (saying a lot since I’ve moved to and from college, rented a house and then bought a house in that time frame!). We just keep passing them from person to person in our family. It’s gotten to be a running joke to ignore the name on the tag

5. I use oatmeal containers too! They are perfect for packing cookies in. Love the sweater, that is a pretty bag idea.

6. Susan says:

Cynthia, you know! I love your frugal gift wrapping idea. And you found such cute paper to use.

7. Love it! Your gift wrapping idea is so cute and it’s reusable since you don;t have to tear the paper off. Double savings for next year. Another thing we do is go wrapping paper shopping after Christmas for next year. It is dirt cheap right after the holidays.

You are so right about reusing it! I never really thought of that. You and I are probably fighting over the same gift wrap after Christmas!

8. […] Linking up at Clean and Scentsible, Practically Functional and Feeding Big. […]

9. Dee says:

I really love that santa treat bin – so adorable!!

10. Dawn Lopez says:

So cool, I love all of these ideas. Totally creative, I am going to have to give them a try!

11. I love that sweater sleeve! I have so many pieces of clothing that I could use to make those. Thanks for the inspiration!

12. That is a super cute way to wrap up gifts! I love the re purposed sweater bags! Those are so cute!

13. Ooh! The Santa treat box is just too cute! I could see filling that with cookies for the jolly old elf on Christmas eve!

14. Jennifer B says:

I love the sweater gift bag idea! That is just too cute!

15. These are some amazing ideas this holiday season!

16. Danyelle says:

I love the sweater idea and the santa gift box. Re purposing is a great way to show kids recycling and to not waste.

17. Pam says:

All of those gift wrapping ideas are super cute and simple enough I could do them too!

18. Chrishelle says:

Great gift wrapping alternatives. I love the repurposed sweater gift bags. My mom-in-law found some really cute boxes that we will reuse this year. No wrapping paper.

19. Corinne says:

I love this idea. So much cheaper than expensive packaging and a wonderful way to use up leftover wrapping paper. I’m heading over to Organized 31 next to see how difficult those sweater bags are to make because those are adorable!

20. wow what great ideas, I hate throwing things away, never thought of using them to give gifts in – thank you!

21. Lisa says:

I’m loving the sweater gift bags!

22. katherine says:

Oh I love the sweater bag idea!

23. kathy balman says:

what fabulous ideas! I love repurposing stuff! pinning too!

24. Jess C says:

Amazing ideas!!!!! I would never have thought you could use such simple things around the house for packing gifts! Great money saving idea

25. I like the idea of using old sweaters as gift wrap. It is a great example or recycling and re-using.

26. Elise says:

Love it! One of my biggest pet peeves is spending a fortune on wrapping. Fortunately, I really love the look of newspaper, or brown paper wrapping paper with a pretty bow, and the oatmeal can is genius!

27. Really neat ideas! I’m the worst gift wrapper in the world (seriously) so I love that these don’t involve too much wrapping paper!

28. Great tips! I end up using way, way too much wrapping paper, so reusing and being frugal sounds much better!

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I, will at times, purchase wrapping paper that is high quality (on sale of course) and it seems to stand up to the wrapping and unwrapping longer.

29. Great ideas. The Santa box is too cute.

30. Andrea says:

These are great ideas! The oatmeal containers would be perfect for homemade cookies or treats to give out for the Holidays. Thanks!

31. Awesome ideas, I could totally do something like this!

32. Pam says:

Cute ideas. I love that they are all repurposed, it saves money and give live to something that you might not use anymore.