Tomato sauce is easy to make and freeze, trust me! As you know, we have belonged to a CSA for two years now. The first year, we didn’t get many tomatoes and I was very disappointed. This year was another subjet all together. Every week, for about 4 weeks, we got tomatoes!  I was not complaining because I use them to cook with on a regular basis.

I grew some tomatoes this year also.  I had a couple of Big Boys and about 4 Roma tomato plants.  This was my first year for growing Roma tomatoes, but I can assure you, it will not be my last.  Roma makes the best sauce in the world.  It is a low juice fruit, so you get a nice, thick sauce.  Perfect for marinara, chile or any other dish that calls for a nice thick sauce.

I have made sauce the old fashioned way before.  You know, washing the tomatoes, dipping them in hot water, peeling them, cooking them down and finally canning them.  I enjoy storing sauce this way, but I find that when I don’t have pounds of tomatoes to work with, the process is not really worth it.  I searched for a quicker way to mae the sauce.

I am going to share with you how I make and freeze my sauce.

All that is required is:

Tomatoes
Garlic (your choice, but I always add some)
A Blender
Pot to cook in
Plastic storage bags

That is a nice and short list isn’t it?

Place the pot with the tomatoes on the stove, bring to a boil.  Once the sauce has boiled for a couple minutes, lower the heat and let the sauce  simmer.  Cook for a couple hours, stirring every once and a while.  When you have let the tomatoes cook down for a few hours and they are nice and thick (or to the consistency you like your sauce).  Take the pot off the stove and let the sauce cool.  I will often put the sauce in the refrigerator over night.

Freezing Tomato Sauce - The easy way

When the sauce is cool, place about 2 cups in a plastic sealable bag.  Make sure all of the air is out of the bag before you seal it.  Lay the bag flat on a cookie sheet and place the cookie sheet in the freezer.    When the tomato sauce is frozen, you can easily write the date on the bag and store your sauce in a nice stack!

Freezing Tomato Sauce, in the bag

Well, what do you think?  That was pretty easy wasn’t it?  Are you looking for a way to freeze whole tomatoes?  Head on over to Little House Living – Merissa will show you how to freeze whole tomatoes.

This post is a part of the Living Big on Less Money Series.  I would love it if you would share some of your frugal tips and tricks!

33 Responses to Freezing Tomato Sauce – the easy way

1. I can’t wait until we can do this with tomatoes from our garden next year!

2. Great idea to freeze it. A whole lot easier than canning, especially if you only have enough for a couple of jars.

3. Christie says:

Who knew it could be so easy! I make things so difficult in the kitchen which makes it stressful for this “less than stellar chef”! Thanks for sharing!

4. We grew our own tomatoes back in Germany and they were fantastic. I really love this tutorial! This gives me the chance to buy lots on the Farmers Market and freeze them for later :)

5. Helene Cohen Bludman says:

Homemade tomato sauce is so good. This is a great tutorial, thanks!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love being able to grab this sauce out of the freezer and knowing it is not full of preservatives.

6. Elise says:

Love this! I like to freeze the tomato sauce when we’re not getting very many at a time to can later when I have enough to fill a canner. :)

7. That’s got to be so much healthier than all those store-bought canned sauces with so much sodium. Thanks for sharing!

I never add salt to the tomatoes when I make them into sauce. I save the adding of salt or any other spices until I use them for cooking. Thanks for stopping by.

8. Susan says:

Love this idea. And you know those flat frozen bags would be perfect canidates for filing instead of stacking (gotta get the organizing plug in, you know :)

9. brett says:

we always intend to freeze sauce but end up making tons of salsa and running out of tomatoes. Sigh.

10. This is exactly how I’ve been doing my tomatoes, only I add a few more things, like basil, oregano and onion before freezing. It works great! So much easier than trying to can.

11. This is a great post and it looks like some others have linked up some good posts. I will have to stop back by later and visit some of the other bloggers.

12. Corinne says:

Another tip is to put your empty ziploc bag inside a tall bowl, ice bucket or canister and fold the ends over the rim to form an easy to fill bag.

13. Jennifer B says:

This looks easy enough that I could do it and your sauce looks amazing too!

14. Ruby says:

My old man makes the best sauce I bet he can do this too!

15. Ave says:

What a great idea, I have never thought on freezing a tomato sauce :D

16. Thanks for the great link-up. I’ve already found 3 great posts to help with frugal living. You’re the best. :)

17. Amy Desrosiers says:

I love this perfect portions way! Thanks for the tip!

18. Love this idea. We always make large batches of sauce and freeze them for later use.

19. That’s exactly how I do it, too and it is THE BEST!!! Great minds think alike… :-) thanks for sharing

20. I’m so glad you mentioned that Romas make for a better sauce. I’m going to remember that for planting. Thanks for the freezer tips too!

21. I need to freeze tomatoes when we start buying big boxes again…Thanks for the tips.

22. Robyn says:

Wow, what an ingenious and easy way to freeze sauce.

23. Malia says:

I never made my own tomato sauce but it seems simple enough. I should give it a try!

24. Shanna says:

I want to do this soon! Gonna pin this for later!

25. Andrea says:

What a great frugal tip! We love homemade tomato sauce, but I haven’t tried to freeze it before. This looks incredibly easy! Will be trying!