Easy $5.00 meals are my new passion! I recently had a health scare and with it came quite a few high medical bills. It is hard to write checks (does any one other than me still do that?) for money that I really didn’t want to part with.
There are so many financial areas in my life that I don’t have a lot of control over, so I have made it a mission to cook as many $5.00 meals as possible. I know you may be thinking, “Cynthia, I don’t want to eat beans and rice for every meal!” I promise you that won’t be the case. Of course, there is nothing wrong with beans and rice!
Before I get to the sharing of recipes let me tell you how I budget my families easy $5.00 meals.
- Protein – I do my best to keep my protein cost at about $2.50 per pound. (look for sales, we love chicken quarters)
- Vegetables/fruit should be about $1.00 to $1.50 per serving.
- Grains (barley, quinoa, corn rice) should use up the other $1.00 – $1.50 per serving.
Here are a few recipes that I have already made that fall in the easy $5.00 meals category.
Tex Mex taco Pasta
(when asparagus are in season and are inexpensive – you can use different vegetables)
Menu planning also plays a big part in making sure your night time meals come in at around $5.00 for a family of four. You can read more about how I menu plan at these posts.
I would love it if you would share some of your great ideas for feeding a family of 4 for $5.00 for your night time meal. I am always excited to try a new meal. Remember, the most important thing to budget for is your protein – keep it around/less than $2.50 per pound!
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Butterfly Feeder Tutorial with Feeding Big - March 24, 2017
- This Is How We Roll #108 - March 23, 2017
- Vitamin C Supplement benefits are many, add it to your day - March 21, 2017